Remember when we said everyone in BigSIS gets a Person Record? Well, that’s not entirely true. There are a couple of small exceptions and Emergency Contacts are one of those exceptions. The reason being is that there are some folks whose information you may want to include in a Person’s Record, but they aren’t exactly people associated with your school. For example, if Dolly is a student, and her neighbor, Ed, is listed as an emergency contact, you may not want to create a Person Record for Ed since he’s only tied to your school because he’s Dolly’s emergency contact. You would only ever need Ed’s information if something happened to Dolly.
In BigSIS we call these Permanent Contacts because you can list whomever you’d like as an Additional Contact whether they are Emergency Contacts or not. You can have as many Additional Contacts as you want. Here’s how you enter Additional Contacts into a Person Record.
From the Person’s Record:
- Click the General tab.
- Click the Additional Contacts subtab.
- Click the New button.
- Complete the form on the Add Contact screen.
- You can choose to add this new contact to just this Person Record, or to All Individuals in the Household. This is useful if you’re adding an emergency contact for a child, but don’t want re-enter it for their sibling.
- Select whether the Emergency Contact is a New Person or Existing Person
- If a new person: Then a person record will not be created for that contact; however, the contact will be added to the Person’s Record you’re working with as an Additional Contact.
- If an existing person: Then you can type the person’s name and use their pre-existing Person Record to populate those fields.
- Select the person’s Relation Type. Where as relationships in a Person Record cannot be manipulated, here you can add whatever relationship you want. Just type it into the list.
- Complete all other fields as necessary and then click the Save and Back button