Thank yous are how your school will acknowledge donors for their donations. With the three thank you options it is easy to thank each donor when and how you like. The three thank you options are: “Initial Thank You”, “Year-End Thank You”, and “Pledge Complete Thank You.” Each option has a host of ways to communicate and handle delivery of the thank you. You will have the option to generate letters, print mailing labels, send emails, or export a list of your choosing.
Types of Thank Yous
Initial Thank You
This thank you is used to communicate for each individual donation that is made. When used, this thank you will reflect the total dollar amount of a single donation.
Year-End Thank You
This thank you is used to communicate year-end donation totals that have been made throughout the fiscal year. When used, this thank you will tally each separate donation you choose and reflect the cumulative total of donations made by a donor or donor profile. This can be used for informational purposes as well as year end tax info.
Pledge Complete Thank You
This thank you is used to communicate after a pledge has been completed. To review the difference between a gift donation and a pledge, see Donation Help Documentation.
Sending Thank Yous
Thank yous work like batches. They are not automatically sent when a donation is made. Instead, when a donation comes in they are placed in a batch and stored until you are ready to send them. A new batch is created for each type of thank you the donor is set to receive, and also by the date the donation was made. You also have the ability to create your own batches based on your own needs. When you are ready to send the thank you, you go into the batch and choose the donations that you would like to thank. This gives you the option to choose every donation within the batch or select whichever donations you want. The reason BigSIS does this is because you choose the method you would like to send the thank you. Some schools prefer to send email, whereas some schools prefer to send letters, others may have their own methods of thanking for donations. Adding the thank you to a batch allows you to not only choose which donors you want to communicate with but also how you will communicate with them.
From the Dashboard:
- From the left-menu, proceed to Donations > Thanks Yous
- For a New Batch click the New button.
- Select the Donation Type, meaning are you thanking pledge donors, one-time gift donors, or recurring gift donors? The option you select will determine which donors will appear in the Thank You batch.
- Then, select the Thank You Type.
- The batch title will default to the date the batch was created, the donation type, and the Thank You Type, but you can edit it here if needed.
- You'll notice there are no Donations on the Donation table, that's because you need to select the appropriate donations that need thank yous. Click the Select Donations From the 'Unthanked' Bucket for This Batch.
- Select the Donations that need Thank Yous and then click the Add Selected Donations to Thank You Batch and click the Back button.
- Select all the donations from the list and click the Communicate button, then select Generate Letters - Per Donation or Generate Letters - Per Donor.
Note: Per Donation will send out a letter for each donation whereas Per Donor will send out one letter per donor with the total amount given up until the date the letter is generated. So, for example, if a donor donated $50 each month for four months, and all of those donations are a part of this batch, the donor will receive four letters thanking them for each $50 donation. Per Donor, on the other hand, will send one letter thanking the donor for giving $200 since they have four donations of $50 in the batch.
- This will take you to the Mail Merge Wizard page. This is where you will be able to start building your thank you template.
- Now, you will want to use the template below to formulate the template that you want. You can use the myriad of options to formulate the template exactly as you need it.
- SPECIAL NOTE: To add mail merge markers you can use the "Mail Merge" option. This will allow you to select from a list of markers you can use in your mail merge template. Tip: Markers will pre-fill your template with the appropriate information. For example, if you select <<Firstname>> the system will pre-fill each persons first name into their mail merge letter.
- Once you have edited the template to your preference, you will want to save the template for future use. Once you have saved your template you will be able to use your template at any time in the future by selecting the template from the "Load saved Mail Merge Template" drop-down menu.