- Use filtering tools to narrow down the list on the people table you need to send letters to.
- Use the bulk select button or "Select all" option to select all records.
- Now, go to Communicate > Mail Merge.
- Now you will be in the Mail Merge Wizard page. In the future you will be able to use saved templates by selecting from the "Load saved Mail Merge Template" drop down menu. In this first go around you won't have saved templates so you will need to start from scratch.
- Anytime you want to create a new mail merge letter or a mail merge template you will scroll down and you will be able to use the variety of tools available to create your letter. Let's break these down in more detail.
- Menu Item: Home
- This tab will allow you to use commonly used formatting options. This includes 1.) Font options - including font type, character size, bold, underline, italics, font color and more. 2.) Paragraph Options - including allignment indentation, bullet points, background color and more. 3.) Styles (choose Normal for regular text, choose Hyperlink to write out links to the web)
- Menu Item: Insert
This tab will give you the options to add page breaks for your letter, add tables (you choose the size of the table and add what you want in the table), add inline picture (the option to add an image from the web or from your computer. E.g., logos), links, header, footers, page numbers, page count, and/or symbols.
- Menu Item: Page Layout
This tab will give you the option to shape the layout of your letter. Select from margins, orientation, size, columns, breaks, and page color. Each of these options will give you a list of options for each setup item, as represented in the screen shot below.
- Menu Item: Mail Merge - VERY IMPORTANT!
The Mail Merge option is very important because this will provide the list of markers you are able to use within this mail merge. Markers are "place holders" for the info the marker pertains to. For example, if you include "Dear <<Firstname>>" into your letter it will print "Dear John," "Dear Lisa," "Dear Timmy," etc.
- To use markers you will want to click on "Insert Merge Field." This will bring up a window for you to select the mail merge field (aka - marker) that you want to use.
- Now, you will want to place your cursor in the text area where you want to place the marker. Then you will select the marker you want and click "Insert," or double click on the marker. You will see that that marker will be placed into your letter. TIP: You can click on the gray bar that says "Insert Merge Field" to move the marker window to where you need it and so that it is moved out of your way.
TIP: After you add the marker you will need to click on the text area of your letter or exit out of the "Insert Merge Field" window to have the focus pulled back to the letter so that you can continue typing into the body of the letter.
NOTE: You may need to experiment with the markers to make sure you have exactly what you want. You can experiment by completing your mail merge letter, then download one letter to get an example of how the markers will pre-fill.
- Menu Item: View
- This tab allows you to change the view of the letter on your screen.
- Once you have completed your letter you will want to decide if you want to save it as a template for future use. We highly recommend this step so that you can use this template whenever you need it. TIP: Make sure your template title is very deliberate so that you know exactly what it is use for. For example, "2017/2018 Annual Giving Campaign Letter Template," or "Welcome Letter 2017/2018 School Year."
- Now that you have saved your template for future use, you will want to decide the best way to download your letter. This will be something that you the user needs to decide based on your needs. You will need to decide the best method for your school and save the file for printing. Once you save the file you will want to access it on your computer to print the letters