BigSIS is a third party email sender and is not a dedicated email server, meaning you won’t have a BigSIS email address like email@example.com. Instead, you will be setting up email accounts in BigSIS tied to your existing email address(es) to send emails. This makes it very easy to get set up to send emails right away!
IMPORTANT: BigSIS no longer supports SMTP through Gmail and it is highly recommended that users connect through Gmail OAuth (Direct Connect) because it is easy, secure, and is supported by BigSIS and Gmail. If you use Gmail click here to Connect Gmail Using OAuth (Direct Connect).
If you need to connect through other email servers such as Outlook you will need to follow the below steps to set up your account.
- Go to System > Settings > Email Accounts.
- Select New to add a new email account.
- Complete the Add Email Account section.
PRO TIP! Hover over the help bubbles to get more information about the required fields.
(Right-click and 'Open image in new tab' to enlarge)
- Under Email Account Users you can select as many users to have access to this email account. This includes sending from, read/write access, or read-only access. A user has to have access to this email in order to see sent messages.
PRO TIP! You can allow users to send from an email persona in BigSIS based on a department (e.g- Development, Admissions, Registrar). Each user will have to be set up with their own email address and an admin would tie the user(s) to the persona/department email. Passwords are never shared and emails are secured through the email server's security settings.
- Select the Type of Email Account to connect. If your school is using Gmail, connect through Direct Connect: How to Connect Gmail Using OAuth (Direct Connect). If your school is using Outlook (SMTP) or other email servers, you will enter your email credentials into BigSIS.
- SMTP (Outlook): Requires specific information about your email's server in order to access.
- Direct Connect (Gmail OAuth): Connects using single sign-on through Google's email system and security.
- Once the fields are complete, select Save and Continue at the top of the page.
It is recommended to test the outgoing server to ensure the email account is set up and able to send.
- Click Test Outgoing Server at the top of your screen.
- Enter an email to send a test email to.
- Click Send Test Email.
- You will receive a success message and email with the title “Test Email from BigSIS” if all of your settings are entered correctly.