- To test out the activities you have set up, just go to the BigSIS portal and find the volunteer tab and play around with it. Depending on the portal settings your school has configured, you may find the following tabs:
- (A) a tab listing a summary of completed and outstanding hours where volunteers may also log their hours.
- (B) a tab that displays all occurrence-type activities that the volunteer logged into the portal has signed up for.
- (C) a tab that lists all available block-type volunteer activities.
- (D) a tab that lists all available occurrence-type volunteer activities.
- (E) a tab that displays a calendar format for occurrence-type volunteer activities and volunteer events. Volunteers may use this calendar to sign up for these occurrence-type activities and any activities specifically tied to an event (note: block-type activities will only appear on this calendar as part of an event, to view block-type activities available at an event the volunteer must click on the event itself in the calendar)
- If you wish to manually sign up a volunteer follow the instructions below (note: BigSIS is designed to let volunteer sign up for activities on their own via the volunteer portal but you may bypass this and sign them up for an activity from the administrative side of BigSIS by following the steps below)
- Go to Volunteers > Volunteer Signups
- Click the New button.
- Choose a volunteer from the Volunteer Drop-Down. If the person you want to sign up has never signed up to be a volunteer before, you will need to add a volunteer record for them before proceeding. To do this, click on the blue plus button on the right side of the field to add a new volunteer record. From there, select the person you want to add a volunteer record to (if this person is not currently in your database, you will need to add them to the database first before you do this). Then, hit Save & Back.
- Next, select an activity time slot (to learn more about activity time slots, see Set Up Activity Time Slots).
- Now, depending on the type of activity do one of the following two things (Note: it is absolutely crucial to understand the difference between block- and occurrence-type activities before proceeding; if you are unsure at all about the distinction we highly recommend reading over the helpful introduction in the section above titled Set Up Activity Time Slots at this time):
- Block-type activity - if the activity in question (i.e., the one you are signing the volunteer up for) is a block-type activity, then select the number of blocks to sign them up for. Ignore the 'Occurrence' field altogether, enter '0' for the 'Number of Minutes' field, and ignore all of the alerts checkboxes (since this is a block-type activity, it is not dependent on a specific date and time so the user will never receive an alert to complete this activity, the checkboxes here will do nothing for block-type activities). Finally, hit the save button.
- Occurrence-type activity - if the activity in question is an occurrence-type activity, then enter '0' in the 'Number of Blocks' field. Next, select a specific occurrence. Finally, enter '0' for the 'Number of Minutes' field and skip down to the alerts checkboxes. Select the type of alerts the user should receive to be reminded about the occurrence they are signed up for. Finally, hit the save button.
Please sign in to leave a comment.