BigSIS has a built-in filter that allows you to search for families of students with an eligible enrollment at your school whether it's their first enrollment or an eligible enrollment immediately following an ineligible enrollment
What do we mean by "eligible?" Well, you might have programs at your school that aren't counted towards your enrollment numbers, like parent-child programs. When a student is enrolled in one of these programs, even if they are technically "new" to the school, the "New Families As Of" filter will not return those students as long as their program is marked as ineligible.
If you run the New Families As Of filter and return bad results (e.g. students who are not new are showing up), go through and double-check your programs to make sure their settings are correct. The below section will tell you what to look for.
Understanding Which Programs are Included in New Families
From the left menu:
- Go to Students > Other > Programs
- Double-click a program to edit it
- Check the Don't Include in New Families checkbox for programs where the enrollees should not be counted as new families/students.
Using the New Families As Of Filter
From the People Table:
- Click the Filters button
- Select System Filters: Misc > New Families As Of
- In the runtime window, select an Academic Year or Term, and whether or not you would like to include guardians and/or students in your query.
The returned results are all the new students with their first enrollment record at your school.