Associate/Advisor is a role that can be used for anyone that needs to have access to courses in the portal for student lists, to view or edit reports, email students or parents, or take daily attendance (this is a separate function not tied to courses but we will talk about this shortly). Associate/Advisors get access to an entire program, not specific courses. This is different than setting someone up as a teacher. The teacher role is used for tying a teacher directly to the courses they teach. This gives them access to their student lists, the ability to write reports, take course attendance, emailing parents or teachers, and the other functions they need as a teacher. The Associate/Advisor role is meant for when you need to give someone access to all or some of those same functions in the portal but they aren't the actual teacher of that course.
A good example of this is peer or teacher advisor teams. Sometimes you need to give access to those folks so they can go into the portal and edit or proofread reports. Even if someone is a teacher you can give them this role so they can access the reports of other teachers. This gives you explicit control over what program's courses they have access to and what they can do with those courses.
How to add the Associate/Advisor role
- Go to People > Associates/Advisors, then click New.
- Start by selecting the person you want to set up this role for. Add the Term, Program or Program Group, and Title. Tip: if you are adding someone as an Associate/Advisor for more than one program the program group option allows you to add the role for all of the programs included in the program group.
- Edit the additional fields based on your needs for this Associate/Advisor. The additional fields (View Reports, Edit Reports, Can Email Students, Can Email Parents, and Can Take Attendance) give you the ability to include or limit these options in the portal independently for each Associate/Advisor.
- Click Save and Back when you are done, or Save and Continue to add more Associates/Advisors.
- Now, you should make sure that the Associate/Advisor tab is made "Active" for the portal. While setting up this tab you will want to make sure to only make the appropriate related tabs active. You may also change the titles for the related tabs (highlighted below) if you want to update to titles that work better for your school. You can adjust these titles by clicking on any of these related tabs and updating the titles. Don't forget to click Save!
Daily Attendance for the Associate/Advisor Role
Daily attendance is an additional option that this role will allow in the portal. This is a little different than the other options you can give this role because all of the other options dictate if they see the courses for the program and what they can do with those courses. For example, if you make someone the Associate/Advisor of the 5th-grade program they will see all of the courses for 5th grade and, depending on permissions, will be able to do different things with that course like view/edit reports. If you grant them the "Can Take Attendance" permission, they will be able to take daily attendance for the entire program. This has no bearing on the courses the 5th-grade program has, rather just gives the ability to take attendance for all of the students in the program.
- TIP: Remember you can impersonate an Associate/Advisor if you want to double check what they will be able to see in the portal. This is highly recommended when you are setting up this role for the first time. See here for more information on impersonating: Impersonating a User