The vast majority of the time you should not be getting duplicate person records tied to leads, but it does happen from time to time. A good example of this is a family that attended your school in the past, left the school, and is now returning again. They might end up filling out a public inquiry form on your website just like a prospective new family and this will create a duplicate person record for the parent(s). There are other ways this can happen but let's now focus on how to fix this issue if it does happen.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you have duplicate people tied to a lead record and neither of them is tied to an application, you DO NOT need to follow these steps. You can merge the person records as normal and just remove one of the duplicate people from the lead record. Click here for more info on merging person records: Merging Person Records
Use these steps BEFORE you merge the duplicate people and this will save you several clicks!
- Before you merge the people records, go to the People table and add something like an ! to the record you plan to keep so that you can identify it easily. This is going to help you identify the person to keep tied to the lead record.
- Now, go to the Leads table and edit the lead in question.
- Click on the Inquiry and Application tab and click Edit Application
- Click on the Claimed By drop-down menu and select the parent with the ! that you plan to keep. Click Save and Back.
- Now, you can click on the Related People tab and remove the parent without the ! and click Remove.
- Once, you take care of this you can return to the People table and merge the people records without issue.
If you merged the person records before trying to remove the duplicate person from the lead you will need to take these steps. Click here if you would like the below steps with screenshots.
- Start by editing the lead record in question and click on the Related People tab.
- The first step, since the application is tied to the person you are trying to remove, is to tie the application to a different person temporarily. If the lead record has another guardian tied to the lead you can use this person.
PRO TIP!: The other related person has to be a guardian of that lead for you to tie the application to them. If that lead doesn't have another guardian you can quickly add BigSIS Support, the person, as a guardian for the lead. Make sure to remove BigSIS Support as a guardian after step #7.
- Now, click on the Inquiry and Application tab and click Edit Application
- Click on the Claimed By drop-down menu and change that to the other guardian or BigSIS Support (depending on if you needed to add BigSIS Support). Click Save and Back.
- Now, go back to Related People and select one of the duplicate people (it doesn't matter which) and click Remove. (Now that the application isn't tied to them you will be able to remove one of the duplicates.)
- Next, click back on the Inquiry and Application tab and click Edit Application one more time.
- Finally, click on the Claimed By field again and this time change it back to the correct person and click the Save and Back button.