School Day Types are how you manage what type of day any given school day is and how the system should handle those days. For example, should the day type allow daily or course attendance to be taken or simply be a day off, should it be a half day or be an employee work day? When you generate school days in BigSIS the system will automatically take into account major American holidays and weekends and label as such so that you do not take attendance on those days but if your school has other holidays, vacation days, teacher workshop days, or any other type of "non-school days" you will need to set those up in the system. This article talks about how to customize your school day types so you can label any school day appropriately and dictate what the system should do when you choose that day type. For more information on how to generate your school days, click here: Generating School Days & Pre-Generate Daily Attendance
School Day Types Table
- Search for School Day Types in the upper left search menu.
- You will see the default school day types from this table. You are free to customize any of the existing types, add new ones, or delete the ones you don't need. (Keep in mind the system won't let you delete any type that is already being used for a school day.)
- To edit any school day type, select and edit the type and make any edits to the existing selections. Remember to click Save or Save and Back when you are done.
Adding New School Day Types
From the School Day Types table...
- Click New and this will take you to the Add School Day Type screen.
- Add a title for your school day type.
- This title is only used internally but make sure to title it in a way other admins will understand what it is used for. For example, "Snow Day" or "Weather Day" would easily indicate when this school day type should be used and what it should mean for attendance (i.e, no attendance taken on those days).
- Select from the checkbox options to dictate what the system should do when this school day type is chosen. Below is a quick breakdown on what each option does IF selected.
- Take Daily Attendance - will allow you to take daily attendance
- Take Class Attendance - will allow you to take course attendance
- Half Day - this will label your school day as a half day
- Day Off - this will label your school day as a day off
- Employee Work Day - this will label your school day as an employee work day
- Include In Hours Report - this will ensure that any school day type with this selected will be included on the "Attendance Hours (Canadian Version)" attendance report
- Default - this will make a school day type the default choice when adding a school day type manually
- Click Save and Back when done. (Save and Continue will take you to an edit screen that will eventually show you the school days that this type is used for.)