These instructions will help you copy an evaluation matrix when you need to edit existing matrix items or matrix scales. The best practice if you need to edit a matrix is to copy it and make edits to the copy, then tie the new matrix to course templates or courses moving forward. This is done to avoid altering an evaluation matrix that has already been used in the past since edits you make to it a will affect reports and previous entries. To avoid this follow these instructions on how to copy and make edits to your matrix items or edit to your matrix scale. For further instructions on how to build a new evaluation matrix click here: Building an Evaluation Matrix.
Copying your Evaluation Matrix
- Go Courses > Other > Evaluation Matrixes and select the appropriate evaluation matrix.
- Click Copy and the system will make an exact copy of the previous evaluation matrix adding "(Copy)" to the existing title.
- You may now edit your evaluation matrix including the matrix titles, matrix scale, or any of the matrix items.
- NOTE: we recommend that you edit the internal title of the matrix that was copied. This will help to separate the old matrix in your matrix list. For example, the "1st Grade Social and Emotional Learning" matrix might be retitled "1st Grade Social and Emotional Learning (2015-2018)."
Editing the Matrix Scale
- Select the Matrix Scale drop-down menu and choose the appropriate scale.
- To add a new matrix scale click the combo box to add new.
- Enter a Matrix Scale Title. Make your title something recognizable like "Grades Reading Scale."
- Optional: Enter a description for Evaluation Matrix Scale (e.g. "To be used in assessing reading progress for all 1-5 graders."
- Click the Save and Continue button.
- Now, add a new Evaluation Matrix Scale Item click the New button.
- Enter a Title such as "Excelling far above expectation."
- Enter an Abbreviation, the Abbreviation is important because it will make the Evaluation Matrix look a lot cleaner on the report, see the above example for a look at how the abbreviations look.
- Enter an Order Number if needed.
- Enter a description for the Abbreviation.
- Once you're finished, click the Save and Add Another button until all of your scale items are added.
- Click the Save and Back button.
Editing Evaluation Matrix Items
When editing matrix items it is optional to delete the previously used matrix items if you are making several edits rather than just editing the titles of the old items. This can save you time because adding new matrix items can be quicker and can often avoid making a mistake as you edit previous matrix items. This will be up to the user based on edits necessary.
Deleting Matrix Items
- Select each matrix item you want to delete and click Delete.
- We recommend deleting the matrix items first and then delete the Group (i.e., Parent Evaluation Matrix Item) items being used second. This will avoid receiving an error message that will notify you that you can't delete a Group when it is in use.
Editing Matrix Items
- Double-click on the matrix item you want to edit.
- You may now edit any aspect of the matrix item including Matrix Item Label, Group, and Description.
Adding New Matrix Items
- Click the New button.
- Enter a Matrix Item Label.
- Enter a Group if needed (see note below).
- Enter a Description if needed for the teacher if needed.
- For the checkbox items, you can opt out of including the scale on the reports, Include a narrative box but hide it from the reports, include a narrative box to be displayed on the report (see below).
A note on grouping: essentially you can create a matrix item that is a parent of other items, like subsections of that one item. You can also house narrative boxes underneath each item is the teacher wants to write additional comments about that specific item.
Please sign in to leave a comment.