BigSIS allows you to create associates directly from the associates table, and that can be helpful at times, but the Academic Year Wizard allows you to create or edit associates and/or add teachers as associates to take attendance in the portal all in one place. This optional step can be something you use when rolling over your academic year or can be used anytime you want to add or edit associates so let's get started.
PRO TIP! You will not be able to create associates for an academic year without taking a few steps like creating courses and registering students unless you disable courses for your school.
From the Academic Year Wizard, start by completing steps 1 - 5. Click here for an overview of steps 1 - 5.
Skip to Create Associates
- Click Step 6: Create Associate and Select Teachers to Take Daily Attendance.
PRO TIP! The status will let you know if you have created any associate records for the current terms.
- This will take you to to the Create Associates or Select Teachers for Daily Attendance screen where you will be able to start creating associates but let's review what you will see before we go too far.
- The Instructions will let you know what each of the options on this screen will do.
- Create Associates: This tool creates associates (e.g., room parents, class advisors) who may review/edit teacher reports, email parents/students, or take daily attendance.
- Select Teachers to Take Daily Attendance: This tool gives teachers (that you select) the ability to take daily attendance for their students from the teacher portal.
- Status of tabs and titles: This section will show you the status of the Associates and Daily Attendance tab (enabled or disabled) and the titles you are currently using for those tabs.
- Adjust Settings for Associates and Daily Attendance Tabs in Portal - This set of options will allow you to quickly enable or disable and re-title the Associates and Daily Attendance tabs in the portal. The settings you have here will be directly reflected in the status of the tabs and titles.
(Right-click and "Open image in new tab" to enlarge)
- This tool creates associates (e.g., room parents, class advisors) who may review/edit teacher reports, email parents/students, or take daily attendance. The best part of this tool is that you can create associates or edit associates simply by clicking Create Associates.
- Click Create Associates and this will take you directly to the Associates table.
PRO TIP! Remember that means you can use this option to create associates or simply use it to go to the Associates table and edit/review associates you already have!
- The Associates table will show you all associates based on your current working term. Use the Filters button to change the list of associates you are viewing. This will include By Active Status, By Term, By Program, and By Cohort.
(Right-click and "Open image in new tab" to enlarge)
- Click New to add a new associate.
- From the Add Associate screen, you will have a few fields to fill in and select from:
- Start by selecting the Person you want to set up this role for. You can search by first or last name.
- Add the Term that you want to add this associate for.
- Next, select if you want to create this associate based on Program, Program Group, or Cohort.
- Program - Use this to add an associate for an individual program.
- Program Group - Use this to add an associate for all programs included in the selected program group.
- Cohort - Use this to add an associate for all of the students that are in a cohort.
- Select the Application Role Type for this associate.
- Add a Title for this associate. This is a title that you and the associate will see so name it appropriately. For example, Grade 3 Class Advisor, Grade 3 Attendance, or whatever works for you.
- Edit the additional fields based on your needs for this Associate/Advisor. The additional fields (View Reports, Edit Reports, Can Email Students, Can Email Parents, and Can Take Attendance) give you the ability to include or limit these options in the portal independently for each Associate/Advisor.
- View Reports - Select this to allow this associate to view reports only.
- Edit Reports - Select this to allow this associate to view and edit reports.
- Can Email Students - Select this to allow this associate to email students they are an associate for.
- Can Email Guardians - Select this to allow this associate to email guardians of students they are an associate for.
- Can Take Attendance - Select this to allow this associate to take attendance in the portal.
- Click Save and Back when you are done, or Save and Continue to add more Associates/Advisors.
Select Teachers to Take Daily Attendance
This tool is unique because this will allow you to select explicitly from your list of teachers (based on term) and will automatically add ONLY the "Can Take Attendance" option.
- Click Select Teachers to Take Daily Attendance.
- Select a Term to add this teacher as an associate for and this will populate the Teachers for Term list.
- Select an Associate Type for the Teachers
- Select the teacher(s) you want to add as an associate. Remember to only select the teachers you want to add to the Program, Program Group, or Cohort in the next step.
- Select if you want to add this teacher as an associate of a Program, Program Group, or Cohort. Select the associated program, group, or cohort.
PRO TIP! We recommend picking one type (programs or cohorts) and using that same type for ALL teachers. Giving some teachers programs and others cohorts can create overlaps and potentially cause issues.
- Click Grant Permission to add this associate.