Some of your donors might work for companies that participate in Gift Matching Programs. This means that the company matches the amount donated by the donor and you as the donation recipient will get not only the donation from the initial donor but also a matching donation from the company. There are a couple of steps you will need to take to ensure that the matching gifts are appropriately tied.
If you know that a company is going to make a gift match, please make sure you enter the name of the company for future reference.
You can tie the gift matching two ways, one through the original donation from the donor (ie parent, family member) OR through the donation from company matching. The processes will still be the same.
If you want to skip to If the company has already donated click here.
If you want to skip to If you need to enter a donation for the matching company click here.
If you need to set a reminder:
- Head over to the donations page and edit the donation that you will need to tie to the gift matching to.
- Fill in the companies name that will be making the matching gift. This will trigger a visualization marker (a gift box) on the donations table to remind you that this donation has a gift matching that still needs to be done.
If the company has already donated:
- After editing the donation Click Attach.
- This will take you to a new page where you will select the donation and click Match this gift.
Pro Tip! There is a Looking for Matching Gift column that you can short through and a search menu.
If you need to enter a donation for the matching company:
- After editing the donation Click New Donation.
- This will take you to the internal donation form where you will need to change the donor to Company > find the company. Fill out the rest of the form as normal and Save and Back.
Pro Tip! If you do not find the company, you will need to click the green + combo box to create a new one.
With these steps, you have created a matching gift. From the Donations table, you can filter for matching gifts and if you see the black and white arrows, this means the matching has been completed.
Important! If your use our Tax receipt letters each donor profile, the donor, and the company, will get their own letter generated. The companies gift matching will not be a tax exemption for the initial donor.